Following on from our post all about chocolate last week, here’s one of our favourite ways to use cacao powder: a rich, delicious chocolate smoothie with spices.
This is a really simple recipe if you’re new to cacao powder and have a slight sweet tooth. Remember that chocolate milk you’re left with after eating a bowl of Coco pops? This is kind of like that, but much tastier, nourishing and good for both body and the soul. This is such a good drink for satisfying any sugar cravings and is also really filling and creamy from the avocado. The cinnamon/nutmeg also helps to balance blood sugar levels and aid digestion, as well as being so tasty!
We love using coconut milk in our smoothies, but this can easily be made with just water (or another kind of milk) and it will be just as delicious.
A Simple Coconut Cacao Smoothie with Spices (Serves 2)
- 2 Tablespoons of cacao powder
- 250ml of water
- 250ml of coconut milk (or more water/ other nut milk)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 large, ripe banana (frozen can be used)
- ½ ripe avocado
- 2 dates (or a teaspoon of honey)
- Top with: a grating of nutmeg
1)Combine ingredients in a blender and blitz for 1 minute.
2) Pour into glasses, top with grated nutmeg and enjoy!