Happy Spring everyone! We're welcoming these warmer days with so much happiness. It's been a busy time for us recently but we're back to this space with lots of ideas and tasty recipes to share. We've been planting seeds in the garden, started growing our own mushrooms and appreciating all the natural abundance around this time of year! How has everyone been recently?
These carrot cake squares were such a hit when we first made them a couple of months ago - the coconut cashew frosting is honestly so delicious! Also, getting vegetables into a cake mix is such a winner - the carrots add an amazing natural sweetness and make the mix perfectly fudge-y. Top it off with some toasted nuts and flower petals and it becomes the perfect afternoon treat!
For the carrot cake:
1 cup of lightly packed grated carrot
1.5 cups of wholemeal spelt flour
1/3 cup of coconut oil (melted to liquid)
1/4 cup plant milk (we use oat milk)
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1.5 tablespoons of malt syrup, maple syrup or honey
1 generous pinch of salt
1/3 cup of dates (soak in a small amount hot water for 10 minutes)
For the cashew frosting:
1.5 cups of cashew nuts, soaked in water for 4 hours +, or overnight
1 tablespoon of malt syrup, maple syrup or honey
Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
The juice of half a lemon
3 tablespoons of coconut cream (from a refrigerated can of coconut milk)
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 6, then blend the soaked dates into a paste and set aside.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix.
3. Now add all the remaining ingredients for the cake (including the date paste) and mix thoroughly.
4. Spread the mixture into a greased baking tin and bake for 30-35 minutes.
5. While the carrot cake is baking, make the frosting. In a food processor blend together all the ingredients until smooth.
6. Once the cake is cooked, let it cool before covering in the frosting, and finally scatter over some chopped nuts and enjoy!