This post may be few days late, but we think pancakes should be celebrated all year round, not just on pancake day! If you're still craving some crepe inspiration after the big day, then these delicious savoury crepes are the perfect treat any time of year.
Stuffed with mushrooms, rainbow chard and a tahini dressing, these make such a good breakfast or lunch time delight. Although we both appreciate a good, sweet pancake (see our favourite recipe here), I've always been a savoury girl at heart, so these tick all the boxes for me! Not only is Buckwheat full of nutrition and naturally gluten free, it has such a great flavour and is easy to work with. If you do have a sweeter tooth, this batter mixture works great for sweeter fillings too. Just follow the basic crepe recipe and fill with all your favourite things!
Ingredients (makes 8-10 pancakes):
For the pancakes:
1 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup spelt flour
3 tablespoons chia seeds
2.5 cups liquid (we use half oat milk, half water but any nut milks are good!)
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 tsp baking powder
For the Filling:
Roughly 300g of chestnut mushrooms, chopped finely
Roughly 300g of rainbow chard (can replace with spinach), chopped finely
3 tablespoons of tahini
To make the crepes:
We use a blender to make our pancake batter, but feel free to use any method, bowl and whisk, kitchen aid etc..
1. To the blender add the liquid and chia seeds, allow to sit for 10 minutes or so until the chia have absorbed some of the liquid and become gloopy.
2. Add all the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Let the batter sit for at least 20 minutes before cooking, this allows the mixture to bind together a bit more.
3. Cook pancakes in a hot, preferably non-stick pan. Add a little coconut oil into the pan for each pancake and pour in the batter, cook for 1-2 minutes on each side.
To make the filling and dressing:
1. In a small frying pan, heat up some coconut oil and fry your mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Once cooked, add in your chard, stir thoroughly and heat for another 2 minutes.
2. Add your tahini to a small bowl or cup. Add enough boiling water so that it reaches the consistency of a light dressing and stir thoroughly.
3. Serve your filling on top of your crepes and drizzle the tahini on top.....Enjoy!