My favourite type of meal is when the table is full of different dishes and everyone can create their own plate. There’s something so fun about having lots of elements and creating the perfect combination for yourself. It’s also great when you have a lot of mouths to feed! Mexican style food is perfect for this - we love having a selection of veggies, black beans, cashew cream, ferments, limes, chilis and a huge bowl of guacamole to stuff in our soft corn tacos.
Another must-have for us is this spicy jackfruit filling which we’ve prepared so it’s deliciously crispy on the outside but still tender on the inside. If your’re new to jackfruit, it’s a tropical fruit which can also be used in savoury cooking. The texture is somewhat similar to chicken and it carries a lot of flavour when seasoned with spices and herbs. If you haven’t tried cooking with it yet we definitely recommend it! If you’re looking to create the perfect Mexican dinner, then check out our other recipes below that combine perfectly with the jackfruit filling…
two 400g tins of young jackfruit
2 large onions, finely sliced
6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
75ml of tomato passata
2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
2 teaspoons of curry powder
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1/3 teaspoon of chill powder (more or less depending on how spicy you like it!)
1. Drain the jackfruit and cut up roughly into pieces of about 1cm thickness.
2. In a large pan (with a lid) fry the cumin seeds In 1 tablespoon of oil for around 30 seconds. Add the onions to the pan and fry until golden.
3. Add the garlic and all other spices to the pan, cook for around 30 seconds.
4. Add the tomato passata and stir well. Cook for a few minutes until the mixture thickens up.
5. Add the jackfruit to the pan and stir it really well. Cover it with a lid and cook for around 10 minutes.
6. Transfer the mixture onto a greased baking tray and mash up some of the jackfruit using the back of a wooden spoon. Bake in the oven on gas mark 6 for 20-30 minutes. The jackfruit should go crispy.
7. Serve with beans, roasted peppers/onions, guacamole and whatever else you wish to create your perfect taco!